Gaming

Harrah's debt gamble

Caesars Entertainment properties in Las Vegas are Paris, shown in the background, as well as Bally's, Bill's, Flamingo, O'Sheas, Imperial Palace, Caesars Palace, Rio, Harrah's and Planet Hollywood.

About a year ago, investors were so convinced that Harrah’s Entertainment would file for bankruptcy protection that the company’s bonds traded for 10 cents on the dollar. Since then, the world’s largest gaming company has surprised naysayers by carving out a foothold of three years during which it can afford to make interest payments on its debt.

Despite health risks, casino dealers still exposed to cigarette smoke


Wynn dealer Kanie Kastroll's class-action lawsuit is not about money. She seeks improved air quality for casino workers. A favorable ruling for her would affect casinos across the country. "We all need our jobs. But what price can you put on someone's health? On someone's life?"

The danger of secondhand smoke is no longer an issue in most workplaces thanks to state and local smoking bans. But Nevada has protected its casinos from smoking bans, and don’t look for that to change anytime soon.

Ill with terminal lung cancer, ex-slot manager presses for ban


Cheryl Rose, diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer in June 2008, worked in casinos in Las Vegas for 22 years. She wants to help transform the industry with a ban on smoking.

In April 2008, 60-year-old Cheryl Rose got a bad cough that wouldn’t go away. Her doctors thought she had asthma — a bizarre turn for a woman who had never had difficulty breathing, not even during frequent workouts at the gym.

Casino dealers stymied in reaching labor agreement

Supporters of a contract for Caesars Palace casino dealers rally outside the resort in September. Dealers, who voted to unionize in December 2007, and management have been unable to agree on a contract.

When asked why it has taken unionized dealers more than two years to make progress toward a labor contract at Caesars Palace, a union leader said management was treating dealers like “garbage.” “These dealers are professional people who take pride in their jobs, but quite frankly, they’re treated like a bunch of second-class citizens,” said Joe Carbon, gaming director of the Transport Workers Union.

Las Vegas Strip prepares to usher in Chinese New Year

Views of the Bellagio Conservatory's Chinese New Year exhibit Friday, January 29, 2010. This year is the Year of the Tiger.

Revelers who celebrated New Year’s Eve in Las Vegas have long recovered from their hangovers, tossed their party hats in the trash and made their way home. Now, a month and a half later, Strip resorts will spend the weekend ushering in another new year and one of the most important periods for their business. The Chinese New Year celebration begins Sunday, bringing thousands of international and domestic travelers and millions of dollars to Las Vegas.

Green Valley Ranch manager files for bankruptcy

The Green Valley Ranch casino-resort in Henderson.

A Station Casinos Inc. subsidiary that manages Green Valley Ranch resort in Henderson filed for bankruptcy protection on Wednesday. The Green Valley Ranch hotel-casino itself did not file for bankruptcy.

Las Vegas Strip sees gaming win increase in December

Buoyed by strong betting on Baccarat and football and some increases in slot play, Strip casinos reported a gross win of $502.1 million in December, a gain of 5.8 percent and the second straight month of increases for the resort corridor.

Gaming supply company IGT to close operations in Japan

International Game Technology said today it expects to absorb $20 million in expenses related to the closure of its operations in Japan.

Sports books record $6.8 million profit on Super Bowl wagers

Nevada sports books recorded a profit on Super Bowl wagers in 2010 for the ninth time in 10 years, according to Nevada Gaming Control Board figures released today.

MGM Mirage may leave New Jersey in dispute over Macau partner


Casino billionaire Stanley Ho and daughter Pansy Ho attend a groundbreaking ceremony for an MGM Mirage casino in 2005 in Macau.

MGM Mirage today said it’s in talks that could result in the sale of its stake in the Borgata hotel-casino in Atlantic City in order to settle an investigation by New Jersey regulators into the suitability of its partner in the Chinese region of Macau.

City to begin construction on Neon Boneyard Park

The City of Las Vegas is expected to begin construction on the Neon Boneyard Park on Feb. 8, 2010. When completed, the park will function as an extension of the Neon Museum campus.

Spread over two lots in downtown Las Vegas, gated behind chain-link fences, sit more than 150 pieces of vintage Vegas. The relics belong to the Neon Museum, which has been collecting old signs since 1996 and showcasing them throughout the city and at its Neon Boneyard.

Las Vegas Sands declares dividend on some shares

Gaming and resort company Las Vegas Sands Corp. on Friday declared a quarterly dividend of $2.50 per share on its 10 percent series cumulative perpetual preferred stock.

Deutsche Bank writes down value of Cosmopolitan by $103 million

A view of Harmon Avenue and MGM Mirage's CityCenter project on Wednesday, Nov. 18, 2009. The Cosmopolitan Resort tower is shown under construction at right.

Deutsche Bank AG, which foreclosed on and is completing the Cosmopolitan casino resort in Las Vegas, said Thursday it wrote down the value of the project by another 75 million euros — or $103 million. The write-off reflects Deutsche Bank’s reduced profitability expectations for the resort that is due to open later this year.

Penn National Gaming reports loss in fourth quarter

Penn National Gaming reported a loss during the fourth quarter of 2009, the result of gamblers continuing to spend less, the company said today. The company made mention of its failed acquisition of the bankrupt Fontainebleau Las Vegas in today’s report.

Man accused of counting cards sues over Harrah's ban

A Las Vegas man accused of counting cards at the Paris Las Vegas casino on the Strip is taking Harrah’s Entertainment to court in his bid to re-enter the company's casinos after he was banned.