Nevada lawsuit over NFL star’s charity settled

A lawsuit claiming retired NFL star Jonathan Ogden’s foundation failed to pay for use of a Southern Nevada golf course for a charity event was closed Tuesday after a confidential settlement was reached.

Dragon Ridge Golf Club Inc. of Henderson filed suit last year against the Jonathan Ogden Foundation, a charity created by the retired Baltimore Ravens 11-time Pro Bowl offensive tackle and likely Hall of Fame member who lives in Henderson.

The suit claimed the foundation had failed to pay $13,226 in expenses from a June 2006 fundraising tournament.

Ogden’s foundation fired back in a court response, saying that all expenses for the tournament were paid the day of the event with cash and asserting numerous counterclaims including claims the foundation had been defamed.

Records in Clark County District Court in Las Vegas show the parties agreed Oct. 10 that the lawsuit and counterclaims would be dismissed with prejudice — meaning they could not be re-filed.

The settlement included a confidentiality provision, mutual releases and an agreement that each side would bear its own legal fees and costs.

With finalization of the settlement, the court closed the case on Tuesday.

“Mr. Ogden is happy to have it resolved,” Eric Dobberstein, a Las Vegas attorney for the foundation, said Wednesday. “Both parties are happy with the resolution.”

The foundation says it has helped hundreds of young people in disadvantaged communities — including such communities in the Las Vegas and Baltimore areas — through athletic and education programs.

Business

Share